OLSRUD FAMILY COMMUNITY PLAYGROUND AT BEAR CREEK PARK
The Medford Parks and Recreation Department has teamed up with JWA Public Affairs, the Medford Parks and Recreation Foundation, the Medford School District, and playground manufacturer Leathers, Inc. to help replace the well-loved playground at Bear Creek Park.
Rejuvenating the 30-year-old wooden fort-like structure along Siskiyou Boulevard with a similar style using modern materials was identified by the Department and the Medford Parks and Recreation Commission as a high-priority capital improvement project for the 2017-19 funding cycle.
The playground was installed in 1987 following an extensive fundraising campaign and an all-volunteer construction effort consisting of hundreds of donors and volunteers spearheaded by the Kiwanis Club of Medford, the Family Connection, Inc., and the City. (more…)
Prescott Park is located adjacent to the eastern boundary of the City of Medford on Roxy Ann Peak. The peak, with an elevation of 3,571 feet, is a dominating geographic feature that stands well over 2000 feet above the valley floor and the City of Medford. A panoramic view of the Rogue River Valley and surrounding countryside can be enjoyed from its heights. The Medford Lion’s Club began the acquisition of park land in 1929 with the purchase of 200 acres, which was donated to the City of Medford in 1930. The City acquired the rest of the 1,740 acres from the U.S. Government by 1933 with the stipulation that it be used for recreational purposes only. (more…)
Want to make improvements to your neighborhood park? This initiative allows for groups to partner with the Foundation to raise funds for such items as; play equipment, picnic shelters, memorial benches and other items that are listed within the Leisure Services Plan for the City of Medford. Any one or group that is interested in partnering with the Foundation and City on such improvements may contact Foundation members at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Established in 2006, the Play Every Day Scholarship Fund provides opportunities for youth to attend recreational and enrichment programs offered by the Medford Parks & Recreation Department. Since its inception, this fund has provided $121,500 in scholarship support for such programs as; day camps, swimming lessons and youth sports programming.
Funds are secured through individual donations and the Parks Uncorked event.
The installation of a new play structure at the Santo Community Center was completed just prior to summer activities beginning in May 2012. This new play structure was the result of private foundations and the Medford Kiwanis Club joining forces with the Foundation to create this new recreational space.
The Foundation received another land donation from Mike and Mary Mahar along the Larson Creek Greenway which will serve as a future pedestrian path from the Bear Creek Greenway to the SE Area Plan and beyond.
The Foundation played a large role in the development of this 1.8 acre park within the SE Area Plan. Through the donation of land by Mike and Lou Mahar, the Foundation was able to coordinate the first developer built park in the Medford park system. This partnership saved the City nearly $800,000 in land and development costs.
Through the generous efforts of the Tennis in the Park committee, over $280,000 was raised in order to build four new tennis courts with lights in Fichtner-Mainwaring Park. These courts have helped grow the sport of tennis in west Medford and have provided space for tennis lessons offered to both youth and adults.
Copyright © 2018 Medford Parks & Recreation Foundation. All rights reserved.